26.7.08

What is Suggested Listening?

Seriously?...it's suggested listening. I'm suggesting listening for you.

You know what I mean. Why would anyone care?

The blog was started because I often get questions from people about what I'm currently listening to. This way, if I mention something that the other person is interested in, I can just point them to this page. It's a way for the people I interact with to not have to carry a notepad and pen in their pocket everywhere they go...like I do.

Often times it will be bands on their way through town while on tour or friends of mine from far away places. It makes it easier for everyone. I try to provide a place for friends to be able to listen to the songs I want to point out for a particular artist, while providing information for them on how obtain their own copy if they like it. Or they can just come back and listen to it again here. Or even better: send the link to one of their friends.

I have to elaborate on that though. While Suggested Listening will continue to go in that direction, side motives have developed as well. I've always wondered why we like the music we like. There have been in depth, scientific books released on the subject, but I still believe a majority of what we listen to is social. Consider this a bit of a social experiment that doesn't really have an ending.

Besides, it's a good way for me to keep track of the groups I run into locally as well...a journal if you will. I believe the industry term is: personal blog.

So forgive me if I like to give an occasional back story. The back stories are simply my side motives showing themselves from time to time. So, unless you know me, you probably shouldn't care...

So, if we don't know you, why am I reading this?

That's a good question. You're looking for something new to listen to and typed a phrase in a search engine that led you here.

What makes you a credible source for music suggestions?

What makes anyone a credible source for suggesting music? Music is all relative. I just said your likes are mainly socially defined.

To answer without a question: I have a degree in music. I've been a live on-air DJ (though I don't know if I'd say I was any good). My degree focused on music technology, but I grabbed enough from theory and instrumentation courses to hold my own. Plus, I run sound from time to time and like to do some writing of my own on occasion.

That being said, none of that makes me any more credible than the next person. It doesn't matter. If you like the music I'm suggesting, you'll keep coming back to check out more.

You don't update this very often. I'm sure there are more things that you are listening to than what is listed here...

I get lazy when I'm not paid for something...deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment